To expand users’ ability to create, share, and educate, Instagram recently expanded the ‘Link Sticker’ option to all Instagram users, regardless of account size. That means that now anyone with an Instagram account can add links to their Instagram stories.
In the past, using links was limited to verified accounts or accounts of a certain size. So, what does this mean for you? All small businesses, agricultural businesses, CSAs, farmers markets, and Extension can now share links on their Instagram stories to easily direct followers to visit websites, register for events, learn more about educational programming, hours of operation, and much more.
How to add a Link to an Instagram Story
Below are step by step guidelines for adding a link to your next Instagram story:
- Take a photo or upload content to create the Instagram story.
- Select the sticker tool from the navigation bar. This is the same place you would go to add a location, a GIF, or a hashtag.
- Tap the sticker that says “Link” and add in the desired link and tap “Done.”
- Then place the sticker on your story in a place that is easy to see. The sticker will auto-create an abbreviation of the link so users have an idea of where the link will take them. You can tap the link sticker for different color variations, or to title the link.
View the video below to see a step-by-step of how to add a link to your Instagram story:
Navigating New Ways to Use Instagram Links
These links provide additional ways to interact and engage with audiences. Below are just a few of the ways, users may be able to use these link features.
- Volunteer sign-ups
- Event sign-ups
- Educational programming opportunities
- News stories, blogs, or YouTube videos
- Websites for farm-businesses, farmers markets, co-ops, and more
- Online ordering or pickup/delivery options
A potential drawback to consider for these Instagram story links are that stories are only available to your followers for 24-hours. So, what happens when users have an event sign-up or a link that they want to be available for more than 24-hours? There are a few options including adding these links as a highlight feature on the Instagram profile, sharing the link a few different times on the Instagram story, or continuing to also provide the link in your profile’s bio. Users should consider the ways their audience interacts with their content as they begin to use this new link sticker feature.
Measuring Metrics through Instagram Links
A benefit to using the link feature, is that users can also see how many people clicked on the link through the insights tool on Instagram. Insights are a tool available on business accounts. The new link feature is available to all accounts, personal and business, but users can only see link clicks through a business account. Insights are a useful way to gather information about what posts your users are engaging with and to see what content your followers are most interested in.
Recently, the PIE Center posted the same content, once as a feed post, and once as an Instagram story. The Instagram story outperformed the feed post, with almost double the amount of link clicks. Using links on your Instagram stories provides your followers with a convenient way to quickly access a link.
Below is a step-by-step guide for checking your link click analytics:
- Navigate to the insights tab on your profile.
- Click on “stories” under the “content you shared” tab.
- Using the drop-down menu in the top right corner of your screen, “link clicks.”
- View the number of clicks each link received and strategize how to better use this feature in future content.
View the video below to see a step-by-step of how to check for link click analytics:
Consider using this new feature the next time you post an Instagram story to promote your small business or organization and engage with your audience in a new way!